COVID19 is still rampant and we continue to encourage our patients to practice social distancing, increased frequency of excellent hand washing techniques, and face cover practices. South Coast Family Medical Center continues to maintain the highest standards of cleanliness for the safety of our patients, staff and doctors. Some of these interventions include:
- cleaning every room and surface following each patient encounter with virucide and bactericide cleaners
- face masks are required to be worn by all patients and staff in order to prevent spread from asymptomatic patients
- deep clean every day before clinic by a professional cleaning crew
- requiring telemedicine visits for anyone with suspicious COVID19 symptoms
- having on-line check in available so that your time spent in our office is limited.
Curbside testing is now available for our rapid test and PCR send out test.
We are pleased to announce that we have the following testing modalities:
Rapid COVID-19 Test (20 Min Result)
The Quidel Corporation Sofia SARS Antigen FIA test has received Emergency Use Authorization from the FDA. Test data suggest the test has specificity of 100% and sensitivity of 93.8%. This test is great for quickly screening individuals for an active COVID-19 infection.
What test? How long for the results?
We chose to use the best rapid antigen test on the market at this time - Quidel Sophia2 SARS antigen test obtained by superficial nasal swab (not the deep nasal swab). We will text you with the results in 20 minutes. This is a test to see if you are harboring the virus at this time and potentially spreading it.
Is it covered by insurance?
This is currently in the works. We will provide you with a super bill if you desire to submit it to your insurance company for reimbursement.
Is it accurate?
Very much so. Nothing is as accurate as the PCR deep nasal swab but at this time, Quest is resulting this in about 11-13 days (previously 3 days). In our small pool of 24 people (very small, I know) that we did both our rapid and the Quest send out, the results have matched 100% of the time.
Who can get tested?
Anyone who desires testing.
How do I get tested?
You must sign in on line on our website on the home page under “check in on-line.” From there, you can either choose “*COVID19 rapid test, no visit, $100” or “*Telemedicine – COVID19 symptoms.” On-line sign in opens at 7:30a Monday through Friday, 7:45am on Saturday, and 8:30a on Sunday (weekend times will vary based on COVID drive through clinic availability).
- For “*COVID19 rapid test, no visit, $100,” we are only able to accommodate 50-60 patients Monday through Friday so it is a first come first serve. We recommend you sign in immediately at 7:30am Monday through Friday. If we have not met capacity, you will eventually receive a SECOND text with instructions on what to do next. That text may occur within an hour or in 6 hours depending on how many people signed in before you. If we have met capacity, we will send you a text letting you know that we will be unable to accommodate you the day you signed in. We also offer a drive through clinic on Saturdays.
- For the Saturday COVID19 rapid testing clinic, please sign in on-line and follow the instructions. Dr. Chris and Dr. Lauren Davis will be spending one of their days off doing this so we ask that you please be patient with us.
Should I get tested?
This is not a simple answer. If you would like to consult with a doctor (us) with this question, we can do a telemedicine visit.
Why are you so cheap?
We offer the exact same test that others are charging much more for at a reasonable price because we believe that mass testing should be readily available for a fair price. We do not believe that it is fair or right to profit off a pandemic.
PCR send out COVID-19 Test via Quest (up to 11-13 days)
Quest processes four different molecular tests—the FDA Emergency Use Authorized Quest Diagnostics lab-developed test (LDT), the FDA Emergency Use Authorized Roche Diagnostics test, the FDA Emergency Use Authorized Hologic Panther Fusion test, and the FDA Emergency Use Authorized Hologic Panther Covid-19 molecular assay. COVID-19 Test (Roche cobas SARS-CoV-2). Data published on the FDA's website suggests this test has specificity of 100% and sensitivity of 100%; although, it should not be assumed the test is 100% accurate over an infinite sample size.
Antibody testing for COVID19 antibodies, IgG (1-3 days for the results)
The SARS-CoV-2 (COVID19) antibodies, Immunoassay test processed by Quest is a qualitative (IgG) immunoglobulin test to detect antibodies to the SARS-CoV-2 virus in the blood. Quest currently uses the SARS-CoV-2 IgG assay from Abbott Laboratories Inc. This is one of the best antibody tests available. At this time, it is still unclear what positive antibodies means for any future COVID19 exposure and infections.
Send out COVID19 via Quest
Antibody test, IgG
Deep nasopharyngeal swab
Venipuncture blood draw
20 minutes in office
Covered by insurance?
Not as of 6/30/20
Cost of the test
$0 if covered, $55 if not covered
Office visit required?
Curb side service?
Yes, if desired
Yes, if desired
Specificity (true negative)
Sensitivity (true positive)
*This information is true and accurate with the available information as of 7/13/2020 and may change in the future
1This continues to be studied but this specificity is suggested by early studies. South Coast Family Medical Center has co-tested >20 patients with the rapid and send out PCR and their results matched 100% of the time.